In broad terms, the smart home market can be divided somewhat cleanly into a few different camps. On one hand you've got the traditional dealer-installed technologies like Crestron, Savant, and Control4. On the other end of the spectrum you've got home automation-in-a-box solutions like SmartThings, Revolv, and the Staples Connect. But somewhere in the middle lies an entire community and ecosystem of products designed for the more hardcore hobbyist / enthusiast crowd, or as we like to call them 'prosumers'.
On this episode, Seth and Jason sat down with home automation prosumer, and fellow podcaster / blogger Richard Gunther. Richard hosts a podcast called Home : On over at the Digital Media Zone. The show and the website are both great resources for anyone interested in home automation and the smart home in general, especially for DIYers and hobbyists.
As someone who has implemented his own home technology for years, Richard has a very unique and hands-on perspective. We enjoyed chatting with him about both his personal experiences, as well as the broader home technology landscape.
- Revolv Releases Android version of Home Automation app
- Webee Promises True 'Learning' Home Automation System at CEDIA 14
- Control4 Launches Home Automation App for Amazon Fire Phone
- The Digital Media Zone
- The Home: On Podcast
- Vera Home Controllers
- ISY99i Insteon Controller
- INSTEON for Sale in the Microsoft Store
- Voice control for the smart home coming to INSTEON
- Homeboy Control